This post may include affiliate links. That means I may earn a small commission if you click and make a purchase. I only recommend products I know and trust.
August is in the books which means it’s time for another blog income and progress report.
I mainly write these reports to keep track of my blogging progress. It’s a good way to see what I need to work on from month to month.
Third Blog Income and Progress Report – August 2019
As a reminder:
- I originally started this blog in March of 2018.
- After working on it for just a couple of months, I got super frustrated and quit blogging.
- But the idea of starting a blog just wouldn’t go away, so I relaunched in April of 2019.
Even though I’ve had my blog for over a year, August was technically my fifth full month of blogging consistently.
But to keep things simple, I’m calling this my third blog income and progress report because that’s what it is.
Ready to see how I did? Let’s go!
Blog Posts Published
I was a little less ambitious for blog posting this month. For one thing, I just didn’t have time to do a lot of writing here.
I did manage to get these posts published:
- Second Blogging Income and Progress Report (July 2019)
- 7 Ways to Get Paid to Write Online That Can Earn You Thousands Each Month
- CIT Bank Review: Is It the Best Online Savings Account for Your Money?
- 5 Simple (But Powerful) Ways to Be Kind to Yourself as a Single Mom
- 9 Amazing Benefits of Freelance for the Stay at Home Mom
- How to Survive a Recession: 7 Money Tips That Can Help You Now
As part of my efforts to try and grow my blog, I wrote a guest post on money management tips for female entrepreneurs for the lovely Sasha at Everyday She’s Sparkling.
I also had an interview with Jade at Live a Blissful Life published, where I talk about how I make $200,000+ a year from freelance writing. So go check both of those out!
And…drumroll, please! I finally finished my FREE freelance writing email course!
So head over to my NEW blog and sign up if you’re ready to learn how to get paid to be a freelance writer!
Goal: 6,000 pageviews for the month
My pageviews were consistent more or less but not great for August.
Part of it is probably people just not being online as much in the summer. But I know I didn’t do as well promoting my blog in the many Facebook groups for bloggers I belong to or on Pinterest this month.
My growth or lack of it is frustrating and I’m still trying to figure out what direction I should take this blog in. (And if you have suggestions, drop ’em in the comments!)
New Email Subscribers
I’m able to say that for this blog income and progress report I did meet my goal on email subscribers.
And I also hit another goal of emailing my list once per week.
List-building remains a challenge. I have several ideas for things I’d like to my free resource library but I need to find time to work on those.
And if you have a great idea for a freebie or resource you’d like to see here, head to the comments and tell me about it!
Pinterest Monthly Viewers/Followers
Pinterest is my personal Achilles heel right now.
I picked up a lot of new followers this month, which is good. But my impressions/views are still up and down like a see-saw.
I did invest a little money into Pinteresting Strategies from Mommy on Purpose this month.
I’ve implemented some of the tips Carly offers but not all. My big goal for September is to make one new pin every day to see if that will help boost my click-through traffic.
I also tested out some different pin designs, which is always fun.
Here’s my formula for making pins, if you’re interested:
- Come up with a pin design that I like.
- Make all my pins look like that.
- Decide I hate all of the pins I just made.
- Start over again with a new design.
- Rinse and repeat.
Pretty scientific, right? Feel free to steal this strategy to see if it works any better for you. 😁
Twitter isn’t my main focus for promotion, though I do try to go on there and tweet a few times a day.
At some point, I’d like to focus more effort on Twitter but for now, I’ll probably stick to my current strategy of tweeting a few times a day.
And if you’d like to give me a follow, I’ll follow you back!
What About Facebook?
I only share my blog posts in closed Facebook groups. You won’t find a link to my blog on my profile page.
No one who knows me in real life, other than my kids, knows I blog.
So that’s the deal with Facebook and why I don’t have a page for this blog on that platform.
Hours Spent Blogging
Goal: 15 hours/per week
This is a pain point for me, as I always feel like I’m not spending enough time on my blog.
But honestly, I just can’t.
I’m freelancing full-time and that keeps me way busy. Add in raising two kids solo, homeschooling, extracurricular activities, cooking, cleaning, running errands–it’s a lot.
My main problem right now is that I’m not as productive as I could be with my blogging time.
I end up getting distracted or I focus on smaller things and neglect the bigger things that could be helping me to grow.
So that’s one thing to work on for September, among others.
Blogging Income for August 2019
A blog income and progress report wouldn’t be complete without a rundown of whether the blogger’s making any money, right?
And for August 2019, I did make a little money. And when I say a little, I do mean a little, lol. Here’s what the numbers look like:
- Affiliate Income: $0.40
- Ads: $8.96
All of the affiliate income came from this Grammarly review post I published back in July.
My current affiliate marketing strategy is obviously not paying off. So that’s another thing to focus on for September.
The ad income came from Fomo ads.
What is FOMO and How Do You Make Money From It?
Fomo is an ad network that you can join for free.
Once you create your free Fomo account, all you have to do is embed a snippet of code on your site. Fomo verifies your account and once you’re approved, pop-up ads start appearing on your blog.
It’s easy to install and start earning money from ad revenue with Fomo. You get paid by impressions and clicks and you’re paid monthly via PayPal.
I earned my first few cents within 24 hours of joining and being approved. It’s that simple.
I like Fomo because the ads aren’t overbearing.
It’s just a small, simple pop-up that you can customize to fit your branding. I applied to and was accepted to both Media.net and Google Adsense this month. But I haven’t run any of those ads yet.
Some bigger bloggers in one of the Facebook groups I’m in said I’m better off focusing on growing my traffic so I can eventually qualify for a bigger ad network, like Monumetric. So I’m taking that advice for now.
But in the meantime, I’ll keep the Fomo ads so I can say that I am making some money for my efforts. 😂
If you’ve just started your blog and you’re looking for a simple way to monetize and start earning some money, give Fomo ads a try!
What Did I Spend on My Blog?
In my first blog income and progress report, I forgot to include my blogging costs. So here’s what they were for August:
- $29 for Convertkit (and if you’re not using them for your email list, you should because they’re great!).
- $12 and change for Canva Pro.
- $42 for Pinteresting Strategies.
Looking ahead to September, my blogging expenses will still include Convertkit and Canva Pro. I’m seriously thinking of investing in some blog coaching, though.
Because here’s the truth, I don’t know what I’m doing here. I see other bloggers who are growing by leaps and bounds and making wads of cash in their first two months and I’m like, hey can I get some of that action or what?
And I know, comparisons are just a waste of time and they don’t help at all. But I’m beyond ready for some kind of blogging breakthrough.
And it’s not even really about making money–I make a great income from freelance writing already.
I mainly feel like I’m not connecting with all the people I can help who want to learn how to make money online or get better with managing money.
So dropping a few bucks on coaching or consulting may be on the agenda for this month.
September 2019 Blogging Goals/To-D0’s
Here’s a recap of the goals I set for August in my last blog income and progress report:
- Publish 6 new posts on Boss Single Mama. PASS
- Submit 1 new guest post. PASS — I submitted two!
- Add 3 freebies to the Resource Library, or at the very least, figure out what kind of freebies I should be promoting to build my audience. FAIL-ish — I have a few ideas, just haven’t implemented them yet.
- Decide whether to finish that free email course on freelance writing or ditch it. PASS! Go check it out!
- Grow pageviews to 6,000. FAIL — boo!
- Continue emailing my list once per week and add 25 new subscribers. PASS
- Grow Pinterest followers to 3,400. PASS
- Grow Twitter followers to 800. Close enough!
- Earn $25 in affiliate income. Miserable fail 😒
- Continue updating posts for SEO and adding appropriate affiliate links. PASS-ish — this is an ongoing work in progress.
- Brainstorm ideas for one small paid product. PASS-ish — still thinking about this one.
Overall, I think I did okay. But I’m sure I could have done better.
Did I mention that blogging, while lots of fun, is also hellishly hard sometimes?
So yeah. I’m doing what I can to be as productive as possible and keep moving forward. Some days are better than others.
Blogging Goals for September 2019
To round out my little blog income and progress report, here are a few goals for this month:
- Publish 6 new posts.
- Submit 2 new guest post pitches and increase focus on blogger outreach.
- Create one new Pinterest pin each day.
- Increase blog page views to 5,000.
- Continue emailing my list weekly and add 25 new subscribers.
- Book a coaching/consulting call to get clarity on what the heck I should be doing.
- Choose 1-3 amazing affiliates to promote and then create content that highlights why they’re helpful/useful.
- Continue updating older posts for SEO, affiliate links and new pins.
Are these goals doable? Sure.
Are they going to explode my blog traffic, to steal a phrase so many bloggers seem to be fond of using?
Maybe, maybe not. But if I can wrap up September with all of these things done and crossed off the list, then I’ll be happy.
Have You Started a Blog Yet?
I hope you enjoyed my third blog income and progress report. And if you haven’t started a blog yet, it’s time to get on it!
And if you’re already a blogger, what big goals are you setting for September? Are you making money with your blog yet?
Tell me all about it in the comments. Or, share a link to your blog income and progress report!
And please pin and share this post if you liked it!